Monday, November 16, 2015

Teaching Beginning Piano Students Proper Hand Position

After 25 years of teaching piano I have never been more of a stickler when it comes to ensuring my early learners establish a solid hand structure.  Proper form is something we address continuously- literally at each lesson.  I want my students to understand that your hand position is super important and must remain top of mind each and every time they approach the keyboard.  Generally speaking, poor hand position usually limits playing and potential as students advance.

My dilemma has always been: How on earth do I train a 4 or 5 year old to maintain a solid hand position?  Can they even grasp the concept of a collapsed arch...or joints...and flat fingers- which is so typical for beginners.  Flat fingers feel 'safe'...more finger contact with the key (especially black keys) gives a sense of security and grip on the key.  So I've struggled with this likely as most teachers do naturally.

Over the years I've tried many techniques...and games and creative ways to engage and motivate young learners to keep a rounded hand and play on the finger tips.  Bar none the BEST resource to date came with the piano method My First Piano Adventures by Faber and Faber.  I was very familiar with the regular line "Piano Adventures" and all the levels and resources they offer.  This book geared for younger learners offered some invaluable exercises I've actually adopted with ALL my students.

There is a wonderful rhyming chant the kids say with actions that practice a curved hand, loose wrist rotation, independent thumb tapping and sweeping arm movement that lands on the keyboard.  It's called "Stone on the Mountain".  I begin each lesson with this exercise- it's short and simple and these kids do it at home.  It can be difficult for a child to form a rounded hand well on the keyboard...but in this exercise, they can easily do these movements on their lap...then transfer them to the keyboard.  This has made this biggest difference in my students.  And they love it!

The second exercise that I have picked up as a staple is the "Mitsy's Cat Back" song and hand actions.  Not only is it the purrrrfect (I couldn't resist) song for fall lessons (it has a Halloween sound) to again, reinforce wrist movement and curved hands, it's super cool.  The kids LOVE LOVE this song.  Again, this has taken me by surprise...I've always struggled to get kids to grasp these concepts and yet, with these little rhymes and songs...it seems TOO EASY.

Now, I've got 4 and 5 year olds with better hand structure than some of my older students.  Incredible.  If they forget (which easily happens) a quick reminder to curve that hand- and they are back on track instantly.

If you are teaching little hands piano and wondering how to get a handle on this issue:

1.  pick up "My First Piano Adventures"...go to the website and watch the wonderful videos that explain the pedagogy behind the activities and demonstrate how they are taught with actual students.

2. Be consistent.  Your little students will understand the priority of hand position when you begin weekly with these activities and make it a priority.

3. Have hands on items in your studio...like squishy balls--anything that when squeezed forms a strong hand structure.  Students LOVE the be busy with their hands....they may not even realize they are working on this.  I've purchased different squishy toys at the dollar store and even given them to students to take home to squeeze and practice proper hand structure.  I've even purchased play dough to work each finger (pressing into the dough)


4. Encourage students to transfer these motions (loose wrist, free arm, curved fingers) in easy repertoire from the start.  They will learn to move this way always.  Build it into them.

The earlier we understand that technique is the relationship between the body and the keyboard the better the student...certainly the more successful the student in terms of musicality and technical proficiency in the beginning and down the line.  

No comments:

Post a Comment